Core 4.0 Pre-release
C-OPIN 3-1: Job Descriptions and Staff Qualifications
This standard requires that your organization hires qualified staff, and that the measure of staff's qualifications is, in part on the extent to which staff meet the qualifications required by written job descriptions. In other words, each position in the organization has a written job description, and each staff member meets the qualifications of the applicable job description.
Each such job description must set forth:
- the scope of the position's responsibilities, duties, and roles;
- any minimum requirements for experience, training, and/or education;
- any certification or licensing requirements; and
- the staff member's expected competencies.
It is particularly important that every member of the staff meet the requirements of the description of the job he/she occupies at any given time. If you envision exceptions, such as the instance in which a company veteran with proven skills is hired into a position for which he/she doesn't meet the formal requirements, make sure your governing policy and procedure describes the process by which such an exception is made. For example, you may have a documented process by which the manager and HR director agree that, despite the failure to meet the formal requirements of the job description, the employee is qualified for the position. Documentation of that process is critical.
Another approach would be to modify the job description so that the requirements that the employee does not meet are listed among the "preferred" requirements, not "required".
Submit the following documents:
- Policies and procedures requiring that
- each member of the staff meets job description requirements and
- the process for validating that each staff member meets those requirements
- Template job descriptions for each position in the company
You'll need to provide the reviewer with a complete listing of all staff members, including employees, consultants, and temporary staff members. From that list, the reviewer will select a sampling of staff members and compare job descriptions to resumés or job applications to ensure compliance with the job descriptions' requirements.