Health Plan (7.4) 7.4
P-OPS 7 - Care Coordination Regarding Medication Safety
This standard requires that your organization promote medication safety for at-risk consumers by implementing mechanisms to address at least three areas:
- Medication reconciliation at care transitions;
- Knowledge of medications by members and their caregivers; and
- Medication adherence.
You'll need a P&P on this one that defines your organization's criteria used to identify at-risk members. In addition, the P&P should outline strategies for promoting medication safety. The possible mechanisms and activities to demonstrate compliance with this standard include:
- disease management activities that address caregiver knowledge of medication;
- tracking medication adherence; and
- reimbursement for outsourced medication reconciliation, among many others.
For the desktop review phase of the accreditation process, you need submit only P&Ps that address, in sufficient detail, all elements of this standard.
During the onsite review, the reviewer will conduct staff interviews and examine the member-facing information regarding medication safety and adherence.